With my schedule for the Toronto International Film Festival more or less set, I have some newbie questions for which I need answers. I've conducted some of this over Twitter, but rather than annoying most people and limiting responses to 140 character bites, I figured I'd post them here, which will allow you to extrapolate to your heart's content. (Comments are moderated because the only ones I tend to get are spam or of the "you suck/get a life" variety--trust me, I need no reminding--but I'll be keeping up with these. Comment away.)
So, here are my "I've never been to TIFF before and have a million questions" questions:
1. Are point-and-shoot digital cameras or small video cameras (a la Flip) permitted in the theaters? I'd like to take some photos, and maybe a little video, while I'm out and about, but if this is going to be a problem, I won't bother.
2. Is outside food and drink permitted in theaters? (I'm guessing it isn't, but with festival attendees eating on the go a lot, I'm hoping it is.)
3. Along with the first two questions, how vigilantly do festival venues conduct bag searches? (No, I'm not looking to bootleg.)
4. What do I need to do with my iPhone to make sure I don't get crushing data and phone bills?
5. If I know what exchanges I want to make when picking up my tickets, can I do that then and there?
6. Should I travel by subway or by foot when on my own late at night? (I'm staying downtown, but the hotel isn't necessarily close to any of theaters.)
7. Anywhere you suggest that's good to eat that won't break the bank?
8. Anything else I ought to know?
If you're going to be TIFFing it up and want to meet, e-mail or DM me. We'll see what we can work out.
Thanks in advance for the answers you can provide. It will be a relief just to dive into this after all the prep work.