Saturday, February 18, 2006

More Curling Mania


U.S. men's curling third Shawn Rojeski

With today's win over Germany the U.S. men's curling team looks like they will advance to the medal round. I had to work this afternoon, so I haven't had a chance to watch the women's team's match against Italy yet. As I mentioned yesterday, the women are likely out of the running for a medal, but I better get my fill of curling now because who knows when these matches will be seen on American TV again.

It may be sooner than I think. Anecdotal evidence concludes that an impressive amount of Americans are watching. Canadians and Italians apparently can't get enough either. The ratings for the Winter Olympics haven't been up to snuff, and the haters are in a frenzy that AMERICAN IDOL crushed its Olympic competition. Curling, though, seems to be one of the success stories.


U.S. women's curling team skip Cassie Johnson

Oh, and what this guy said about that boneheaded move to cut away from the extra end of the U.S. women vs. Russia yesterday.

I've discovered that Columbus has its own curling club. Who knew? I have a sneaking suspicion that the upfront cost of equipment may be on the high side--the brooms and stones aren't as entry-level cheap as a basketball--but I don't know what one would need to have to get started.

If that isn't enough, here's an online curling game for those captivated with this sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment