Friday, January 23, 2004

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Aside from opening the front door and taking a step to pick up the newspaper, I hadn't set foot outside all day until a little after 5:00 p.m. I've been busy tabulating the Central Ohio Film Critics Association award nominations and taking it easy on a day off. I knew it was snowing for most of the day but hadn't paid attention to how much. My bad.

I left to meet a friend for dinner and two films of the Kurdish cinema playing at the Wexner Center. I bailed on the plan after forty-five minutes in the car and maybe two miles travelled. The good thing is that I didn't make it to the interstate. Who knows how long I would have been stuck on 270 and 71 if I'd slogged it out long enough to get that far.

Since I was out already and needed to go to the grocery store, I headed to Meijer. Saw a car do a U-turn by driving over the grass-on-raised-concrete median on Polaris Parkway. Slick move, pal. I wanted to get at least another pair of thermal underwear, but wouldn't you know it, they didn't have any. None. I looked everywhere in the men's clothing section to no avail. I didn't even see where they would keep it. There weren't any gaping holes on the shelves, so it's not like they had a run on it and were out. I located an employee and asked if they had any. Nope, just a 2X dark blue thermal undershirt that had been returned today. I recall encountering this problem last year when it was really cold in the middle of winter. Do I need to stock up in July?

In other random thoughts, Tuesday I saw a tow truck towing a tow truck. I was going to make a sly comment comparing this to Ouroboros, but now that I've read a little more about the symbol, I'm not so sure that I'd be right.

No comments:

Post a Comment