Sunday, January 04, 2004

Backlogged

The last few days have proven that trying to write for this blog from the public library is very difficult. The computer stations are always full, so the 30-minute time limit and the attendant loom like the sword of Damocles. At minimum it usually takes me an hour to write an average-sized update, with a modicum of proofreading included. The inconvenience of no home computer should be less of an obstacle this upcoming week. School resumes at Otterbein, meaning that I can get into my office seven days a week if I so choose.

The bonus of this home computing hiatus is the discovery that I can still write in the ancient way of longhand. There remains the issue of being in the mood to write, but I've found that sitting in a coffee shop with a cup of joe or doing the same thing at home expediates inspiration. When it comes to being in the right frame of mind, like real estate, it's all about location, location, location.

The time limit means, however, that it's nigh impossible for me to sit here and crank out reviews. I have almost two finished and hope to complete another one or two later today, but I have to fuss with them too much to type them here. The reviews already promised are coming. Also look for my takes on HE LOVES ME, HE LOVES ME NOT and FOURTEEN HOURS.

I haven't finalized a Top Ten for 2003, although GERRY, HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG, ALL THE REAL GIRLS, and CAPTURING THE FRIEDMANS are virtually assured locks. In the meantime, here are the other films up for consideration in the Top Ten: 28 DAYS LATER, BUS 174, CITY OF GOD, DIRTY PRETTY THINGS, FINDING NEMO, IN AMERICA, KILL BILL VOL. 1, MATCHSTICK MEN, MYSTIC RIVER, THE SHAPE OF THINGS, SHATTERED GLASS, and WHALE RIDER.

Here are titles fighting for a slot in the honorable mentions, if I limit those to ten: AMERICAN SPLENDOR, BAD SANTA, BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM, BETTER LUCK TOMORROW, BIG FISH, CHARLOTTE SOMETIMES, DAREDEVIL, DOWN WITH LOVE, DEMONLOVER, ELF, THE FLOWER OF EVIL, HE LOVES ME, HE LOVES ME NOT, THE HULK, LOST IN TRANSLATION, MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD, MONDAYS IN THE SUN, PHONE BOOTH, RAISING VICTOR VARGAS, THE SCHOOL OF ROCK, SEABISCUIT, THE SECRET LIVES OF DENTISTS, SO CLOSE, THE SON, STONE READER, and TAKING SIDES.

Some of those honorable mention candidates don't stand a chance, but I included them since they were rated B+. I gave DEMOLOVER and THE FLOWER OF EVIL B's, but both have stuck with me and merit consideration.

OK, I've hogged this work station long enough, so it's time for me to be going. Review writing beckons, assuming I don't get caught up in watching MYTHBUSTERS or televised poker when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment